Creamy Millet Porridge is a hearty, satisfying breakfast and a perfect alternative to oatmeal. Make it the night before to reheat and eat for a quick, easy breakfast.
Have you been watching the Olympics this week?
We definitely have. But, is it just me or…are we kind of biting it a lot lately? I don’t feel that same “this is my life and I HAVE to have the Gold and the US is gonna kick all your countries’ asses and get ALL THE GOLDS” feeling when I watch it. You? Or is it just me?
Well, either way, I still can’t help but watch. And wonder how it’s so friggin warm in Sochi and NOT so friggin warm here. Not fair. That’s what.
Well, because it’s cold and the only thing I want is warm comfort food, I made Creamy Millet Porridge.
I am loving this new alternative to my morning oatmeal. Millet Porridge kind of tastes like polenta, an almost corn taste. In a good way. So good. And because of that, it can play the savory or sweet game really easily.
The basic method goes like this: stir millet into water. Bring to a boil, then simmer for 30 minutes. When it’s done (all the water is absorbed), stir in a bit of milk to make it creamier (and so it doesn’t seize), then top with anything you wish.
Here, I topped it with walnuts, goji berries, poppy seeds and coconut. It would be amazing drowned in maple syrup (but seriously, what isn’t).
I’ve also eaten it in a more savory dish too. I took my same Creamy Millet Porridge, then topped it with an egg and asparagus scramble and a bit of stilton cheese and hot sauce. Yum!
I love that millet absorbs SO much water. You may be thrown by the dry serving size being 1/4 cup, but that small serving size becomes quite voluminous after it absorbs 1 cup of water. And I’m sure it can absorb even more if you stir in more water and let it simmer longer. Give it plenty of time to cook and become tender and you’ll be enjoying a wonderful, comforting breakfast within the hour. OR make it the night before, throw it in the fridge, and reheat it the next morning with a bit more almond milk.
Your whole family will love having another grain in the breakfast rotation. Like it is, it’s gluten-free and vegan, if that matters to you.
- 1/2 cup millet
- 2 cups water
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
- toppings: walnuts, coconut, poppy seeds, goji berries (optional)
- In a large saucepan combine the millet, water and salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and stir. Let simmer with the lid on for 30 minutes, stirring once or twice to ensure the millet isn't sticking to the bottom of the pan.
- Around the 20-25 minute mark on your timer, if the millet seems to be almost done absorbing water, keep a close eye on it. When the water is completely absorbed, take the millet off the heat. Stir in the almond milk.
- Top with toppings and enjoy! See Notes below for more options.
- The toppings for Creamy Millet Porridge are endless. Make your porridge sweet with brown sugar or maple syrup and top with a variety of fruits and nuts. Make your porridge savory with a bit of cracked black pepper and top with an omelet! Get creative!
- Store Creamy Millet Porridge in the fridge in a sealed container. Reheat the next morning, combined with a bit more milk.