Waffles are sexy.
I love them. I think they’re a really sexy food.
I don’t know why. Maybe its how they get all golden brown. How they’re crisp on the outside, yet fluffy.
They have all these crannies that you know are supposed to be filled with butter and drippy syrup.
Gahhhhh. So good.
Honestly, I need to make them more. I have a knack for pancakes on the weekends, and I long for waffles…yet I don’t make them as much. But they’re seriously easier than pancakes. No flipping. Just lower the lid, wait (do dishes, try to watch TV and listen for the beep), pry open the lid, pray the nonstick spray was magical and worked, remove and enjoy. Done.
Mine are gluten free. Crazy, right? Because I used oat flour. And you will too. Just wizzzzz some up in your food processor or blender (I always make extra and keep it in a jar).
And then I added this Decadent Blend chia flax stuff. Um, yum.
Have you seen this stuff? It’s at Whole Foods and I highly recommend you go grab it, especially since I think there’s a coupon for it in the seasonal flyer right now.
Well, clearly I’d love for you to buy it and use it in this recipe. But it you’re…stubborn…(like how I didn’t just call you lazy?) and you don’t want to run out and buy it, feel free to use:
1 Tbs of groud flax instead
OR 1 tsp groud flax + 1 tsp. ground chia seeds + ½ tsp. unsweetened coconut + 1 tsp. cocoa powder
I’m sure either of those will work just fine.
Or, go buy the bag of yum and save yourself the trouble, then have fun putting it in everything! It’s seriously delish.
Annnnnndddddd last but not least, I slathered Mascarpone cheese on mine (yes, we’re playing “cheesecake on waffle” today because I said so), then strawberry jam and white chocolate chips. Yes. I did that. You’re going to do it too. Because I told you to do it and because your life will become significantly better after you do.
You won’t regret it. Who ever regretted a waffle? Don’t answer that.
Seriously though, make a bunch of extra batches of these waffles when you’re done stuffing your pretty pretty face. Because you’ll want them in the freezer, ready to toast up the next time the waffle cravings come knocking (ten minutes later).
- 1/3 c oats
- 1 Tbs. Decadent chia flax blend (Spectrum)*
- 1 tsp. granulated Stevia or raw sugar
- ½ tsp. baking powder
- ¼ tsp. baking soda
- 3 Tbs. unsweetened almond milk
- ¼ tsp. vinegar
- 1 large egg white
- 2 Tbs. plain Greek yogurt
- ½ tsp. vanilla extract
- Toppings – mascarpone cheese, strawberry jam, white chocolate (or dark chocolate) chips
- ~Grind your oats into flour using a food processor or blender.
- ~In a small bowl, combine the almond milk and vinegar and set aside.
- ~In a mixing bowl, stir together oat flour, chia flax blend and Stevia/sugar.
- ~To the dry ingredients, add the almond milk + vinegar, egg white, Greek yogurt and vanilla extract. Stir together with as few strokes as possible to combine (a few lumps left in the batter is just fine). Let the batter set for at least 10 minutes before using (which is why it's good to preheat your waffle iron after you've mixed your batter).
- ~Preheat your waffle iron per the iron's instructions. Spray with nonstick spray.
- ~Divide your batter between the four compartments. Close the iron and let them cook as long as the instructions say so (mine takes about 5 painfully long minutes).
- ~When the waffles are done to your liking carefully remove them from the iron (this is where you pray and beg that your nonstick spray was made of fairy dust). Top with a schmear of Mascarpone cheese (or cream cheese), strawberry jam, and white chocolate chips (not optional). Enjoy!
- *read notes in narrative for alternatives; found at Whole Foods
- I like to keep the momentum going and make several batches then freeze the extra waffles. Then they're in my freezer, ready to throw into the toaster oven when I'm in the mood for waffles... which is all the time.
And because it’s Valentine’s Day week and it’s all about love and cheesecake and waffles and such (right?), Happy 4 month-iversary to the most adorable blue-eyed man I ever had the pleasure of marrying. Kisses and waffles!
Any products mentioned in this post are mentioned because I found them, bought them with my own pennies, and truly recommend you do the same. This is not a sponsored post.