The Green Thing Smoothie is the most nutrient-dense, veggie-packed blended treat you can enjoy for snacks or meals, getting your veggies in without even trying! Be brave and customize it to make something all your own!
First of all, thank you all SO much for the lovely, warm wishes you left for me Monday. I feel so loved. Between my Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, and right here, I felt surrounded by happiness on my birthday, and that was perfection.
I’ve gotten really into smoothie making. I think it’s because I love my Vitamix blender so much. I get separation anxiety when I leave town and have to leave it on the counter (don’t worry, I think it’s coming with me on future trips…). I just love it.
Anyways, I’m getting more and more green with my smoothies. And I love being able to get a majority of my veggie servings down before lunch! Score. Point, me.
So, this is it.
It’s The Green Thing.
I honestly call it The Green Thang…but I know that Thing is a bit more sensible for an official title. But, you say “thing,” I say “thang.” Just know that while you’re making your Green Thing, I’m making my Green Thang.
It’s SO many veggies in one glass, you won’t even have to worry if you don’t see another vegetable for the whole day!
Here’s the best part! You can dramatically change the flavor with little tweaks, and not lose any of the valuable nutrients of the smoothie. You can drink it straight if you love it (woohoo), but if it’s too “green” for you, add a handful or two of honeydew melon, pineapple, banana, or berries! Just choose one, you can’t lose! You could even add 2 Tbs of cocoa powder!
What I love about making smoothies, is that they’re stress-free! You seriously just start adding what you know you love, and in the end you have an amazingly nutritious snack or meal. I like that the portion is so big, I can pour it into two jars and for snacks (and I usually add a little something extra to my snack time if I’m only drinking half), or I can add a scoop of protein (I prefer Vega or a plant-based protein) and enjoy it for a meal. Can’t beat that!
Enjoy! And let me know what you love to add to your Green Thing! [Thang]
- ½ large cucumber
- 1 large carrot
- 2 celery stalks
- 1/3 cup Italian flat-leaf parsley
- 2 handfuls of spinach
- ¼ avocado
- ½ apple (I like red, but a green one would be bright and fab too)
- ½ frozen banana
- 1 Tbs. pepitas (pumpkin seeds)
- 1 Tbs. flaxseeds
- 1 tsp. spirulina (optional if you can’t find it)
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- ice, if desired
- Optional add-ins: ½-1 cup of honeydew melon, pineapple, or berries; 1-2 Tbs. cocoa powder; scoop of Vega protein powder (or your favorite plant-based protein)
- Chop any large veggies into larger chunks.
- Place all of the ingredients into your blender and blend until smooth.
- Add more almond milk if you like a thinner smoothie, add ice if you like it thicker and icier.
- It's easier to blend a smoothie like this with a high-speed blender, like a Vitamix or Blendtec. I've never used a Blendtec, but I've heard great things about them. I love my Vitamix and highly recommend it. If you don't have a powerful blender, try blending the almond milk and spinach together first, then add the other veggies and smoothie ingredients to blend until smooth.