Today I am sharing with you my new favorite way to enjoy coffee in the morning. Golden Tumeric Milk Coffee! There are so many health benefits to making your coffee from tumeric milk, so jump on this bandwagon with me!
Maybe you’ve heard of Golden Milk and maybe you haven’t but let me fill you in. It basically is your alterna-milk, steeped with tumeric, cinnamon, maybe some nutmeg, a bit of vanilla and some local honey (or coconut sugar). It’s sweet, spicy, slightly bitter and so delicious. If you’re a fan of a subtle chai, then this is your next jam.
Anyways, I’ve been making a quick, short Golden Milk and then filling my cup with coffee. It is SO delicious. I tend to sweeten mine with both honey and stevia. I started drinking my coffee like this after an amazing iced version of this drink I had in Denver.
So what’s the deal with the tumeric? Ok, here we go:
Tumeric has anti-inflammatory properties and is also linked to healthy brain function. I’m no dietitian or doctor, but all of the research I’ve done on tumeric has led me to absolutely love and swear by tumeric. Some claim it helps with IBS, skin inflammation, stomach pain, heartburn…alllllll the things!
I’ve been using tumeric for years. It gives curry that vibrant yellow color, can be used in paella if you’re low on saffron (kitchen hack), I sprinkle it on eggs while they’re cooking to give them a gorgeous golden hue, I hide it in oatmeal with lots of cinnamon…you can use it in anything. Did you know that it’s used in commercial Mac n Cheese powdered cheeses to make them yellow? You do now!
Tumeric actually has a very subtle taste. It is slightly bitter and warm. That’s really it. So if bitter throws you off, you may need to add a bit more sweetener to your finished coffee drink. But the cinnamon and honey really shine and you get bitter from tumeric and the coffee itself.
If you haven’t tried Golden Milk yet, you definitely should! You can try it hot in the evening before bed or cold in the afternoon as a pick-me-up. But this, with coffee, is truly my favorite way! You’ve probably seen me drinking it on snapchat* and thought my filters were off!
So, tomorrow morning, swap your plain cup of Joe for a cup of Golden Tumeric Milk Coffee, and let the anti-inflammatory properties give you a head-start on an excellent day!
- ½ tsp. tumeric (organic, dried, powdered)
- ¼ tsp. cinnamon
- ¼ tsp. vanilla extract
- pinch of black pepper*
- 1 tsp. honey
- ½ cup unsweetened almond milk
- ½ cup hot prepared coffee
- In a sauce pan (or directly in your mug, using the microwave) over medium low heat, whisk together the tumeric, cinnamon, pepper vanilla, honey and almond milk. Once it is very yellow, frothy on top and the spices are all dissolved, pour the hot milk into your coffee mug.
- Top it all off with your favorite hot coffee. I like a 1:1 or a 1:2 (milk:coffee) ratio. If you like, add more honey or stevia to finish. Enjoy!
- *I honestly don’t always add black pepper. I read that it helps the bioavailability of tumeric, allowing your body to fully use its nutrients. So, take what you want from that and add it or don’t.
*My snapchat username is mking3000!