Oatmeal Cookie Granola is a healthy, homemade treat, perfect for that crunch on your yogurt, in your cereal bowl or just by the handful! The best part is, it makes your home smell like oatmeal cookies when you bake it. Now, let’s make granola!
So I realized that I haven’t made granola in FOREVER! How long has it been?! And how long have I gotten back in the habit of eating sugar-drenched store-bought granola? I’m embarrassed to even try to figure it out.
I’m sure you’re in the same boat.
This being said, I decided to make a new favorite granola. It took a few batches (sorry mom, you got a not so great batch), but I am back to making amazing granola!
This Oatmeal Cookie Granola truly makes your house smell like cookies. So if you like raisins in your oatmeal cookies, just go with it. If you’re a chocolate chip lover, then do that! I promise, either way you can’t lose. I happen to love golden raisins because they just add the nicest sweet touch, so that’s what I’ve chosen to use.
This granola is packed with nothing but good stuff: coconut oil, hemp seeds for protein, almonds for omegas, oats and oat bran that are packed with fiber to keep you full…there’s nothing but good here! Cinnamon (which happens to be anti-inflammatory) and cardamom round out the flavor and really make this granola taste like cookies.
This granola really helps me keep on track with my health goals. I’m determined to set a healthy example for my family, as always, and making my own granola instead of relying on store-bought is a small but meaningful step in that direction.
I’ve decided to eat mine drowning in almond milk, with bananas and some frozen berries (that melt in the milk and turn it blue!). I also eat it by the handful all day, so there’s no wrong answer here. Enjoy!
- 2 cups rolled oats
- ½ cup oat bran
- ½ cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- ¼ cup hemp hearts (or quinoa flakes)
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- ¼ cup coconut oil, melted
- ½ cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 Tbs. cinnamon
- 1 tsp. vanilla paste (or extract)
- ¼ tsp. cardamom
- ¼ tsp. Kosher salt
- ½ cup sliced almonds
- ½ cup golden raisins
- optional: 2 Tbs. flax seeds; ¼ cup pumpkin seeds
- Preheat your oven to 325 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment and spray with nonstick spray (I use coconut oil spray).
- In a large bowl, combine the oats, bran, coconut and hemp hearts. Stir well. To that, add the coconut oil, applesauce, cinnamon, vanilla, cardamom and salt. Stir until completely moistened and combined.
- Pour the granola onto your baking sheet and spread into a thick, even layer. Bake for 20 minutes.
- Add the almonds (and flax and pumpkin if using) now, stir the granola around, then return to the oven. Bake for 20 minutes. Stir again, then bake 10 more minutes. Remove from the oven and set on a wire rack to cool, adding the golden raisins now while the granola is still hot from the oven. Let the granola cool completely.
- Keep your granola in an air-tight jar on the counter for a week or in the fridge for longer. Enjoy over yogurt, drowning in almond milk or by the handful!