To celebrate the rolling of Spring to Summer, I’ve teamed up with Chex cereals to bring you a fun snack that is perfect for road trips and travel! You’ll love this Monkey Munch Chex Mix!
I adore these warm Spring months. They feel like all of the wonderful celebrations that are to come. There are so many Summer birthdays, graduations, zoo trips, holidays, road trips, long weekends, and fun trips on the horizon! And my favorite part: the food! The grilling, the watermelon, the potato salad, popsicles, handfuls of snack foods while driving across the country!
At the moment I’m celebrating a few big summer activities: Blend Retreat, Memorial Day and the road trips I’ll be taking to visit family.
I’m so excited to go to Blend Retreat later this week. I’ll be gathering with 100 other healthy living bloggers for a weekend of fun and networking. I attended last year and could not pass up the opportunity to go again this year, representing Chex!
After Blend Retreat is Memorial Day weekend, which my husband and I always celebrate with his dad because it usually falls around the same time as his dad’s birthday. I’m ready for the lake and some sunshine and good food!
I’ll be brining loads of my Monkey Munch Chex Mix to keep my hungry tummy tied over! This Chex Mix is one of my favorite creations. It’s full of peanut butter and bananas, peanuts and popcorn. I love that the popcorn adds lots of volume, so you can eat way more, without adding a ton of calories. I also love that the banana chips give me an excuse to put the “healthy” stamp on this.
As far as Chex Mixes go, this one is a super simple one. No baking, no mixing of spices. It’s made in a similar way that you’d make Muddy Buddies (or do you call it Puppy Chow?), pouring melted peanut butter and coconut oil over two kinds of Chex cereals. Then I just mix in some more goodies, cover it in powdered sugar, and you’re good to go!
My husband and I ate 2 batches of this stuff, so it’s definitely family-approved! Make a big batch of my Monkey Munch Chex Mix before your next road trip and you’ll have some happy campers in your crew!
- 3 cups Rice Chex
- 3 cups Honey Nut Chex
- ½ cup creamy peanut butter
- 2 Tbs. coconut oil
- 4 cups popcorn (air popped or store-bought)
- ¾ cup dry roasted peanuts
- 1 cup banana chips
- ¾ cup powdered sugar
- In a very large bowl, combine the Rice Chex and the Honey Nut Chex. In a small microwave-safe bowl, heat the peanut butter and coconut oil until completely melted (a minute or so). Stir the peanut butter and coconut oil together, then pour over the cereals. Use a large wooden spoon or silicone spatula to carefully stir it all together, coating the cereal.
- Add the popcorn, peanuts and banana chips to the bowl of peanut butter-covered cereal. Add the powdered sugar and stir carefully until everything is well coated (you can use more powdered sugar if you’d like). At this point I like to put the whole bowl in the fridge so it sets up well, but you can just leave it on the counter until the mixture is completely cool and set.
- Scoop your Monkey Munch into snack-sized bags for an easy grab and go snack! Enjoy!
- Eat Monkey Munch Chex Mix within the week of making. You can store extras in the fridge. Keep in an air-tight container.
Happy Graduation to my baby Brother! I can’t believe you’re a grown man, college educated, and on your way to worlds of success! I love you.