Who needs Lemon Bars when Grapefruit Bars are here?! Indulge your inner citrus-lover with my gluten-free Grapefruit Bars, which are perfect for Spring.
I had every intention of sharing this recipe with you on Wednesday. But I’ve been attacked…
I sat there, Tuesday night, eyes so heavy and barely able to focus, that I ended up choosing Married At First Sight over trying to focus on the computer. Wise choice. A friend of mine pointed out that other people’s eyes were probably itchy and shut too so they wouldn’t be reading it anyways. Good point.
Hopefully by now the mixture of essential oils my boss has doused her house with have helped me and I can feel normal again…maybe even get some sleep? Hopefully.
Anyhoodle! So I decided some bright citrus was definitely the way to go to match the beautiful sunshine outside and that disastrous pollen that’s coating everything.
Instead of Lemon Bars though, I’ve opted for some Grapefruit Bars! Because let’s face it, grapefruit is the bomb.
So let’s talk about the ingredients for a hot sec. You’ll probably notice raw sugar and butter and eggs.
- Butter, I have no qualms there. It makes the base more cookie-like and I’ve actually cut the amount in half by using Greek yogurt too.
- The eggs help the grapefruit juice become more like a curd when it is baking. Grapefruit curd is the way to go.
- And that raw sugar. I opted for the clean taste of something as close to white sugar, because I didn’t want to add any caramel-y flavor to the party, which something like coconut sugar or dates would have done. I also significantly cut the amount of sugar down from your typical citrus bar.
Now, back to sneezing and pretending like I’m enjoying this weather (and wishing I hadn’t chosen to work outside today because now my computer is coated in pollen).
- ¼ cup butter, softened
- ¼ cup 2% plain Greek yogurt
- ½ cup raw sugar
- pinch of salt
- ½ cup brown rice flour
- ½ cup sorghum flour
- ½ Tbs. tapioca starch (or potato or corn)
- Juice of 1 large grapefruit (1/3 – ½ cup)
- ½ tsp. grapefruit zest
- ½ cup raw sugar
- 1 Tbs. tapioca starch (or potato or corn)
- 2 eggs
- Spray and line an 8x8” baking dish with parchment and nonstick spray. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
- In the bowl of your mixer combine the butter, yogurt and sugar. Beat until smooth and light in color, about 3 minutes. Then add all of your dry ingredients and let them blend until the dough just comes together.
- Pour the dough into your prepared baking dish. Press it into an even layer (I sprayed my hands with nonstick spray to make it easier).
- Bake for 25 minutes, until the edges are slightly golden. Then let the base layer cool and set for 10 minutes. In the meantime, make the grapefruit layer.
- In a bowl, combine all of the grapefruit layer ingredients, whisking together well until smooth. Pour this mixture over the base layer. Bake for an extra 15-20 minutes, or until the layer doesn’t jiggle when you move the pan in the oven.
- Let the bars cool completely on a wire rack. Use the parchment to help lift the bars out of the pan. Slice, sprinkle with powdered sugar (if you want), and serve! Enjoy!
- Bars will keep on the counter for up to 3 days, or in the fridge for a week.