I just have to update you! The Frisky Fall fitness challenge I’m participating in is wrapping up week 4 (half way done!) and I can’t wait to share with you the green Protein Pancake recipe I’ve been making for breakfast almost every morning!
I was in the car with my husband last weekend and he asked me how I think the challenge is going and if it has helped me at all. I stopped to think about it.
My response was positive. I told him that I liked feeling challenged and like I had an active goal to work towards every day, feeding the competitive side of me. I told him that I didn’t see any visible changes in body, but I felt like I was happier because I was excited and making progress internally…
Well, then the next week starts rolling (this week, week 4) and suddenly I’m not feeling as great. I’m so sore and tired yet I’m getting in my workouts. I’m feeling…f…a…t… gasp.
I’m a woman, I can’t help it. But as soon as you look in the mirror and your mindset flip flops, it hits you like a Mack truck and suddenly things aren’t so great. I start the woah-is-me mindset, getting upset over the unfavorable circumstances my hormones have left me in and how it’s not fair that I don’t see results like some women get to see results. Life isn’t fair, this I have been told since I was a small child. I am well aware.
So, I know I need to set aside ideals, hopes, and dreams that are centered around my body image. When I figure out how to do that (and thus win the Nobel Prize), you’ll know.
Not to leave you on a depressing note, I just needed to be honest, because we all go through it, and our bodies can’t always be what we tell them to be [genetics come a'callin].
I wanted to share with you a recipe! A fitness recipe…
My famous Vega Green Protein Pancake recipe! If you didn’t know, I have bombarded my twitter and Instagram feeds with my pancake because I happen to eat it almost every single morning. I love it. It’s well balanced, full of secret hidden spinach, dairy free, and really yummy! I’ve never had a pancake recipe turn out as well as these do with Vega, so that’s that (nope, they don’t pay me to say this, I just happen to have bought a TON of Vega after discovering how amazing it is and discovering that it doesn’t make me sick like most protein powders do, and then they gifted me some, because they’re lovely).
- 1/3 banana (approximately 3”)
- 1 cup spinach
- ¼ cup egg white*
- 3 Tbs. unsweetened almond milk*
- ½ tsp. vanilla extract
- ½ tsp. cinnamon
- ¼ tsp. cardamom
- 1 scoop Vega Sport Vanilla protein powder
- Optional nutrient additions (choose 1 or 2): 1 tsp. spirulina powder, 1 tsp. acai powder, 1 tsp. maqui powder, 1 tsp. flaxseeds, or 2 tsp. psyllium husk powder
- ~In a blender (I use a Bullet blender for these, so any blender will do), first add banana, then spinach, then egg white and almond milk. Next, add the vanilla, spices and Vega protein powder. Blend until smooth, scraping down the sides of your blender so everything is incorporated.
- ~Head a nonstick skillet on medium-low, sprayed with nonstick spray (I use coconut oil). Pour your batter in for 3-4 pancakes. Let the pancakes cook until you have bubbling throughout the middle and they look cooked around the edge (appx 4 min). Flip and cook 2-3 min on the other side.
- ~Stack them up, top them off! I like heating blueberries until they burst and release their juices. I also love adding almond butter, chopped nuts, hemp seeds, or local honey or maple syrup. Have fun and enjoy!
- *if you’re not using liquid egg whites, add 2 egg whites and 2 Tbs of almond milk, then add almond milk 1 Tbs at a time as you’re blending until you reach your desired consistency.
- You may notice on my Instagram feed that I tend to have one giant pancake. That's just the way I roll. I love to pour all of the batter in a small skillet, making 1 big pancake. Easy.