Happy Small Business Saturday!
Everybody emerging from their turkey coma? Anybody massaging their quads which are sore from sprinting into stores and knocking down feeble shoppers to get to the BEST DEAL EVER?
I’m shaking off the tryptophan and trying to squeeze into my jeans.
I wanted to show you my contributions to Thanksgiving this year! Besides chile-rubbing the bird (and brining it) and ensuring it was pulled out at exactly the right time for optimal moistness, I also made the cranberry sauce, salad, and a pie!
Remember how I told you which pie I was going to make? And the cranberries my cranberries would be based off of? Well, it all turned out P-E-R-F-E-C-T-L-Y!
Spinach salad with pomegranate arils, red onion, honey-roasted almonds, avocado, and a citrus dressing.
- 20 ounces fresh cranberries
- 1 cup pinot noir
- zest and juice of one orange
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. ground allspice
- 1/2 cup granulated Stevia (or sugar)
- In a large (large enough for the ingredients to triple in volume because they will bubble up a lot), heavy saucepan combine all of the ingredients. Bring them to a boil, then reduce the heat to a simmer.
- Let the cranberries simmer and cook down for 25 minutes, stirring often until they're thick and the skins are cooked down.
- Pour the cranberries into jars and let cool before tightening the lids and placing them in the fridge (or eating them). Use within 2 weeks if you're not going to "sterile can" them. Enjoy!
Malted Walnut Pie! Holy moly! I followed the Bon Appetit recipe exactly (except I reduced the sugar and butter in the pie crust (because there is plenty in the whole pie) and reduced the Karo syrup to 1/2-cup) and it turned out AMAZING! So good! Now, I’ll be honest, I do NOT like pecan pie. It’s WAY too sweet. This pie is NOT like pecan pie! It’s more of a savory-sweet. SO good. You have to make it!
My mom made the rest of the dinner. It was perfect! potatoes, green bean casserole, dressing, cornbread, pumpkin pie… sheesh!
And, last but not least, the winners of the Quest Bar giveaway are…drumroll…
Julia Weidner (who won via her Facebook entry), Christine Presto (who won via her Tweet about the giveaway), and Lauren S (who won via her Twitter following of me)!
All three winners have been emailed and notified. They have 48 hours to respond or another winner will be drawn. Thank you so much to ALL of you who entered! If you still want to try the newest Quest Bar flavor (or any flavor!), please click on the affiliate ad in my right sidebar and it will take you to the site, where you can order! (yes, like I just said, I am an affiliate of QuestBar…but no, they did not pay me to say or do all of this!)
Let the Holiday festivities continue!!