Sweet Coconut Date Wild Rice Salad makes an amazing picnic side or dessert! This sweet yet subtle mix of rice, carrot, coconut, spices and honey will have you looking at rice in a sweeter way.
This is my last post before I load my entire life into a truck, drive 35 minutes down the road, into a completely different state, then dump it all into a new set of walls.
But not just any walls, a house. A new house. That has our name on the papers. We bought a house!
I can’t believe it. I feel so incredibly blessed and lucky to have found a partner that works so damn hard to make our dreams come true. We definitely have paid our dues, and this won’t be easy, but we’re making the dream happen. Lucky me.
I was recently asked to manifest a dream. But I couldn’t think of one in particular. I have a lot of dream blobs. Unformed wants and hopes, but I know that they’ll become clear sooner or later, and then I’ll chase them down. But, buying a house was my current dream, and worth mentioning (even though it wasn’t a new dream in that very moment).
But, I’m sure if you approach me sometime on Saturday afternoon, when it’s a record-breaking hot as hell day, I’m not going to be sporting this positivity. In fact, you’ll probably want to just keep driving. Or stop and help…yeah that’s a better idea.
Ok, now onto the recipe! Sweet Coconut Date Wild Rice Salad! I love love love this. It really doesn’t have an overpowering taste, so it works perfectly as a side in a big, grilled meal. OR as a dessert! I love adding a splash of almond milk to it and eating it like a cold porridge. So good. Enjoy!
- 1 cup wild rice, uncooked
- 1 ¾ cups water
- 1 Tbs. coconut oil
- 1 large carrot, shredded
- zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 1 Tbs. unsweetened shredded coconut
- 2 tsp. cinnamon
- ¼ tsp. cardamom
- ¼ cup raisins (or golden raisins)
- ¼ cup chopped pecans or walnuts
- pinch of sea salt
- 3-5 dates
- 2 Tbs. large coconut flakes (or more unsweetened shredded coconut)
- 2 Tbs. raw honey
- ~In a sauce pan, cook the rice, water and coconut oil. Bring it to a boil, then turn down the heat to a low simmer, place the lid on, and cook for 25-30 minutes, or until the water is absorbed.
- ~Once the rice is finished, fluff it with a fork, then stir in the shredded carrot, lemon juice and zest, shredded coconut, cinnamon, cardamom, raisins and nuts. Add a pinch of sea salt.
- ~Refrigerate the mixture until cool. Plate it up, then top it with the dates (slice them up), coconut flakes, and honey.
- Try it as a porridge for dessert! Splash almond milk and more honey over the top!