Earl Grey Sticky Rice Pudding is the best of both worlds: sticky rice and rice pudding! The unique, Autumnal flavor of Earl Grey combines with creamy coconut milk and sweet coconut sugar for a comforting dessert (or breakfast!). Pockets of white chocolate create a fun surprise too!
OMG OMG so SOOOOOO many things on my mind.
- Is it seriously almost Halloween?! This is nuts! Nuts I tell ya!
- I had a CRAZY dream last night! My teeth had fallen out! And it was one of those crazy realistic dreams where I couldn’t tell whether it was real or not…waking up was a relief! Um, no teeth?! What does that mean? Well, besides that I’m terrified of my dental appointment I have coming up in November. Oh wait, maybe that’s it.
- A friend of mine is going through a crazy, sudden change in her life. I think about her and her situation so often but don’t really know what to do for her because we live so far apart. I guess I just want her to know I’m mentally holding her hand. Le’ sigh. [PS YOU know who you are, if you’re reading this, I love you. And if I’m in your neighborhood within the next few months, I’m taking you for REAL ice cream.]
- I ran a 5K for real on Saturday! I swore off running awhile ago to think about my health, but getting back out there in a real way was so liberating! I felt so alive and like I was really pushing myself in a great way. Woohoo!
I made this Earl Grey Sticky Rice Pudding and it totally blows me away! I have it in my fridge and I’m trying not to just sit on my kitchen floor and shovel the entire batch down my gob.
The flavor of Earl Grey tea is infused into short grain sweet rice (which is usually used to make Thai sticky rice), with coconut milk and a subtle hint of creamy vanilla white chocolate. Coconut sugar melts right in, providing just the right amount of sweetness and doesn’t distract you from the true flavor of this sticky, creamy porridge. Top off your bowl with some bright, seasonal fruit and you’re in total heaven. Oh, and it takes less than 20 minutes, start to finish!
This Earl Grey Sticky Rice Pudding would be an amazing dessert, but also makes a sweet snack or breakfast too.
- 1 cup short grain sweet rice*, rinsed well
- 1 cup water
- 1 can lite coconut milk (or full fat), divided
- 1 Earl Grey tea bag
- 3 Tbs. coconut sugar
- ¼ cup white chocolate chips
- In a pan, combine the water and rice and bring to a boil. As soon as it starts boiling, turn it down to a low simmer and add 1 cup of the coconut milk and the contents of the tea bag (cut the bag open and empty it into the pan…if it’s not finely milled, you should quickly mill it in a blender or spice grinder). Stir, add the lid, and let simmer for 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes, stir the rice and turn off the heat. It should be very thick and the liquid should be absorbed or almost totally absorbed. Add the rest of the can of coconut milk and the white chocolate and stir (but don’t stir until the white chocolate is completely melted, just give it a few good stirs to distribute it and create pockets of white chocolate).
- Serve it warm, topped with a sprinkle of coconut sugar and some fresh fruit. Add a splash of coconut milk if you like a thinner porridge. Also, this tastes amazing cold too and gets quite sticky, so try it that way too!
- *I found mine in an Asian/international foods market. It says “sweet rice” on the bag.
- Keep Earl Grey Sticky Rice Pudding in the fridge, in a sealed container, for up to 1 week. Eat hot or cold!