Pistachio Chocolate Chip Coconut Milk Ice Cream is the perfect dessert for these crazy sunny winter days (I’m definitely daydreaming about Springtime). Coconut Milk ice cream is dairy-free and made simply, quickly in a Blendtec blender! Salty pistachios combine with rich dark chocolate in a cardamom-spiced coconut milk ice cream.
Is it super sunny where you are? I swear I was wearing shorts yesterday! In January! Isn’t that crazy?! Are you getting what I’m getting at…?
Ice cream in January is an amazing idea. I’m not one of those people that can only have ice cream in the dead of summer and I’m guessing you’re not either. I’m sure you’re slowly mixing a hot chocolate and thinking, “I wish this was ice cream…but I won’t admit that out loud…”
Well, I’ve done it for you!
And making this ice cream is SO easy, you’ll be making it everyday. You can totally blame me for that.
I made this incredible Pistachio Chocolate Chip Coconut Milk Ice Cream in a Blendtec 725 blender! Trying out this blender has been such a fun adventure! I love that it has a touch screen! You can select from preset cycles like Whole Juice, Salsa, Ice Cream, Dry Grinding, Hot Soup, or the Clean cycle, OR you can control the sliding panel and choose your own speed (or pulse!). And because it has the “Wild Side+” jar, which is a flat extra side, you don’t need a plunger to push down ingredients into the blade.
I also have the Twister Jar. I just have to say, this is SO cool. It’s a smaller jar attachment for the blender that has little scraping twisting blades coming from the lid so you can make really thick things, like nut butters, without constantly stopping your blender and scraping down the sides! Trust me, as someone who has other “professional” blenders and equipment and makes her own nut butters, this is amazing.
Back to the ice cream! This ice cream is made totally from coconut milk (the real, full fat, unsweetened stuff in the can, not a carton). It’s smooth and creamy and so delicious. It is sweetened with coconut sugar (keeping with the theme) which gives it a golden caramel color and makes the ice cream subtly sweet without spiking your blood sugar. It is lightly flavored with cardamom and vanilla, then studded with chips of dark chocolate, pistachios, and toasted coconut. The healthy fats, antioxidants, and decadent flavors will keep you satisfied and rock your taste-buds!
There’s a trick to making ice cream in the blender, and the Blendtec specifically. You need to freeze your coconut milk in an ice cube mold. Then only add minimal liquid to it when you’re blending (no more than 3 Tbs). The Blendtec will whip it all up into a soft-serve consistency! [Trust me, I made this recipe 3 times before I got it right, always adding too much extra coconut milk or coconut cream to the blender, resulting in just a bunch of milkshake…tastes good but totally not what I wanted. Minimal liquid = ice cream.]
Then, you stir in any add-ins [I pulsed chocolate and pistachios in the blender before I started] and either eat it right there or put it in the freezer to freeze up a bit.
Secret ingredient? Vodka! Trust me. Stirring in ½ tsp. of vodka keeps this coconut milk ice cream scoopable. If you don’t add it, your ice cream will freeze into a brick (no bueno). The flavor is 100% undetectable. If you’re just plain uncomfortable with it, try adding 1 tsp of a starch (like corn starch or tapioca starch) to the ingredients in the blender when it is blending. But it won’t work as well. I’m not a huge drinker (ie I’m all about the wine) so I bought one of those tiny airplane sized bottles of Vodka just for this, that way I’m not left with a huge bottle at the end of the day.
I can’t wait to hear what you think of this ice cream after you’ve made it! It’s a definite favorite in my house!
- 1 (12.5 oz) can coconut milk (full fat, unsweetened)
- ½ cup coconut sugar
- ½ tsp. vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp. ground cardamom
- ½ tsp. vodka*
- 3 Tbs. dark chocolate (chips or bar)
- 3 Tbs. roasted, salted pistachios
- 1 Tbs. unsweetened coconut, toasted
- PREP: Shake your can of coconut milk vigorously for 30 seconds. Open the can and pour the contents into 1 ice cube tray (if your tray doesn’t have a cover, try lightly covering with plastic wrap). You’ll have about 1/3 cup of coconut milk leftover. Put the tray into your freezer and the leftover milk into the fridge. Freeze for at least 4 hours, until solid.
- In your Blendtec, pulse (individually or together) the chocolate and pistachios until broken into small pieces. Set aside. Rinse out your blender or put it through the “cleaning” cycle. Dry your blender jar.
- In your Blendtec blender, combine the frozen coconut milk cubes, coconut sugar, vanilla, cardamom and 2 Tbs. of the remaining coconut milk. Press the “Ice Cream” setting and let it all blend together (this is so quick! It will quickly whip it all into ice cream!).
- When the cycle stops, you have your base! It should be the consistency of soft serve (or like the popular “Frosty” consistency). Add the dark chocolate pieces and pistachio pieces, toasted coconut, and the ½ tsp. of vodka. Stir with a spatula to distribute.
- Pour it into an ice cream container (or line a loaf pan with plastic wrap, pour the ice cream into the loaf pan, then wrap really well with several layers of plastic wrap) and freeze for 2 more hours, until slightly more solid. It’s ready! Serve it up!
- Clean your Blendtec blender jar by putting it through the “Clean cycle”.
- Note: If you like more solid ice cream, freeze the finished ice cream for 4 hours or overnight.
To purchase a Blendtec blender, you can use the link I have in the advertisement in my right sidebar, or this link here. I am an affiliate of Blendtec.
Get social! Follow Blendtec at:
This post is sponsored by FitFluential LLC on behalf of Blendtec. Thank you for supporting the sponsored posts that make Treats With a Twist possible. All opinions are my own.