Cocoa Maca Porridge is a rich and satisfying breakfast that only seems decadent. The antioxidants and hormonal nutrients from cocoa and maca powders make this porridge (or oatmeal) a true superfood delight. This recipe is vegan and gluten free and makes one portion.
Do you ever have that feeling that your eyes are SO heavy? I mean, besides everyday around 3:00?
I got back from a wonderful trip to Washington, D.C. on Monday after waking up for a from-Hell early flight (why do I do that to myself??) and I swear I still haven’t recovered. Something crazy came over me and I decided to complete that day’s workout I had on the schedule. And so I was panting with my eyes closed, my hopeless attempt to workout and be sleeping at the same time and I think I seriously hurt myself in the weirdest way…
Tangent short, I hardly slept last night because I have this intense pain in my forearm that was throbbing SO hard, I had nightmares that I had a blood clot and then a staff infection. Craziness and totally wrong. Anyways. I hardly slept while I was away and then I slept terribly after getting back. My eyes hurt.
BUT, I have this amazing Cocoa Maca Porridge staring at me, so I guess the world is alright. How can it not be when you have chocolate for breakfast? AND it’s healthy!
Maca is something I’ve talked about several times here, but it is a crazy amazing superfood. It comes in powder form and lasts forever (I keep mine in the freezer and use 1tsp a day, so it lasts a long time). It has an earthy, sweet taste that is very potent, so I pair it with sweet breakfasts or in sweeter shakes that contain chocolate, sweet potato or chai spices, so it doesn’t stand out. No, I don’t like the taste on its own. But yes, I believe it is amazing so I slip it into my foods (and my hubby’s…don’t tell him!). It helps with hormonal balance and tissue repair, among many other things!
I think the crazy amazing tip of the iceberg thing about this bowl is that melty chocolate on top, right? A little not-so-secret: it’s Vega’s dark chocolate maca bar. So you’re getting a double-hit of everything. And who doesn’t love a melty pool of chocolate on their breakfast?
If you like your porridge or oatmeal a bit thinner, add up to 1/3 cup more of almond milk. I definitely go back and forth on how thick I like mine, so I understand if you need more liquid. Totally cool.
Have a wonderful breakfast! I’m going to go close my eyes now…
- ½ cup old fashioned oats
- 2 tsp. flaxseed meal
- 1 cup water
- ½ cup unsweetned almond milk
- 2 tsp. cocoa powder
- 1 tsp. maca powder
- ½ tsp. vanilla extract
- pinch sea salt
- 2 tsp. maple syrup (or sweetener of choice)
- Optional: maca chocolate bar, for topping
- In a pot on the stovetop, combine oats, flaxseed meal, water and almond milk. Stir over medium heat until simmering, then turn the heat down to medium low. Stir while simmering until thick and oats have absorbed much of the liquid (several minutes). Then, add the cocoa, maca, vanilla and sea salt. Stir well until smooth. (add sweetners now if you desire)
- Pour into a bowl, top with some chopped maca chocolate bar, then eat!
- Additional addins: hemp seeds, chopped Brazil nuts, egg whites (however you prefer!)
- I buy Maca at Whole Foods and use Navitas Naturals brand.