If you’re tired of your routine breakfast or need to add breakfast into your routine, I have a great new option for you: Coconut Quinoa Porridge! This porridge is a delicious way to prepare quinoa, which you may have thought of as only a savory grain. Making quinoa into Coconut Quinoa Porridge ensures your day is starting with a dose of protein, healthy fats and nutrients.
Well I don’t know what came over me, but I was hit with a sudden urge…
To amp up my workouts and really clean up my eating. I’ll say, I workout everyday already, but the desire to up the intensity hit me. And it happened to be late at night, so the thought of it kept me up for hours. So not normal.
Anyways. I kicked off my Sunday with a workout that drenched me in sweat *wide eyed emoji* and thennnnn I decided to shake things up for breakfast by subbing my usual oatmeal with:
Coconut Quinoa Porridge!
This porridge was an awesome change from my routine. I cooked it in coconut milk which brought the distinct, savory taste of quinoa down a few notches. A hit of coconut sugar and heavy dose of cinnamon made it so delectably warm and sweet.
The best part about Coconut Quinoa Porridge…well, besides the natural boost of protein from quinoa…is that you can top it with whatever you want and it makes it just that much better. This porridge is so filling and gives you satisfaction in knowing you started your day off on a really healthy foot.
So, if you happen to be thinking about giving up some of your less-than-healthy habits after Mardi Gras…or just happen to want to shake things up for breakfast, this Coconut Quinoa Porridge should be the first thing you reach for in the morning!
Oh! And if you really have no time in the morning, you can make an entire pot of this in the evening, keep it in the fridge and reheat it in the morning. No excuses. Enjoy!
- 1 cup red quinoa, rinsed well (or whatever color you like)
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup coconut milk (canned)
- 3 Tbs. coconut sugar
- 1 Tbs. cinnamon
- In a saucepan, combine the quinoa, water and coconut milk over high heat. As soon as it boils, stir, cover with a lid and turn down the heat to low. Let simmer for 20 minutes.
- Check the quinoa, the liquid should be completely absorbed. Fluff the quinoa with a fork. Stir in the coconut sugar and cinnamon. Taste and adjust sweetness to how you like it.
- Serve the quinoa with a splash more of coconut milk, some shredded coconut and almonds or some dried fruit! Enjoy!
- You can make the porridge ahead of time, refrigerate it and reheat it in the morning!