My Holiday Hummus with Pomegranates, Pepitas and Sage Oil is a beautiful yet simple holiday starter. It looks gorgeous on your finished table with it’s pomegranate jewels tumbling over hills and swirls of sage-oil splashed hummus, with little green pepitas peeking out too. Your guests can dig right into this dish while they’re waiting for the turkey to rest!
I’m sure you’ve seen a huge range of emotions blasted all over social media over the last few days. I’ve felt many myself, but I’ve decided to keep those feelings and emotions between myself, my family and my closest friends. Everybody deals with situations in their own manner, and this is mine at the moment. I have a LOT to say, but I am deciding not to do it here. Ok?
Ready for more holiday recipes?
You know how you cook all freaking day with your eye on the dinner prize…and yet people are still hanging out in the kitchen with your fridge door wide open and are acting like you probably should have also made them brunch? Hahahahahahahahaha
Oh dear. Sometimes I truly think I can be Martha Stewart and have a full holiday breakfast, complete with baked French toast and mimosa bar, then a light lunch and appetizers AND the holiday dinner all in the bag. But then I remember that Martha has a team and that just isn’t real life.
Real life is showing people the bag of lunch meat and throwing them a loaf of bread and an apple and then screaming at them to not fill up because dinner is going to be epic and they better be ready to eat it all. Plus pie.
What’s my point? You may want an appetizer. You will probably want something that still looks the theme and yet didn’t involve you “cooking” another freaking thing. Right?
So I made Holiday Hummus to solve that! Hooray! And by made… I mean I jazzed up a store-bought Sabra original hummus with ingredients you already had around from making other recipes! And you pair that with a handful of seedy crackers or perhaps some cut veggies from your stuffing/dressing chopping fest, and you’re set! So freaking easy.
And doesn’t it look perfect?!
I’ve topped my hummus with beautiful pomegranates and pepitas. And then I splashed it all with some yummy sage oil butter! And flaky sea salt pulls it all together. I could eat this stuff all day!
- 1 (10oz) container plain hummus (I used original Sabra, no toppings)
- 1/3 cup pomegranate arils
- ¼ cup pumpkin seeds (I like raw, definitely unsalted)
- 1 Tbs. unsalted butter
- 2 Tbs. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large sage leaf
- flaky sea salt
- To serve: your favorite seedy crackers
- In a small saucepan, combine the butter, oil and sage over very low heat. Let that infuse until it becomes fragrant, or around 5 minutes. Make sure you are swirling it and keeping an eye on it so it doesn’t burn while it is cooking. Let the oil cool to room temperature.
- Scoop your hummus into a serving bowl. Create a swirl in it for the oil to settle into. Add the pomegranates, pumpkin seeds, and then drizzle the oil on top and around. Finally add a sprinkle of your favorite flaky sea salt to the dish.
- Serve with your favorite seedy crackers!