This Peanut Butter Cup Hot Chocolate is the ultimate nightcap on a cold winter’s day. For peanut butter cup lovers, there’s nothing better! It’s like a hot cup of chocolate and peanut butter love!
Sorry I’m not sorry…I drank an entire double-batch of this Peanut Butter Cup Hot Chocolate…
Ok you caught me. Two batches.
But I swear I had a good reason. Besides it being just over-the-top delicious, I needed to get the consistency just right.
I’ve jumped right into this one, if you couldn’t tell.
Wait! I needed to tell you: I moved! Yes, it’s finally final. I packed up my baby and my winter sweaters and dragged our bums to freezing cold Chicago. My husband is in sunny San Diego in meetings and will meet us here this weekend. He’s in for a rude awakening. I tried to take one of the dogs out to go to the bathroom…I came back in crying involuntarily because I was so frozen.
So there’s that.
It’s Canaan’s birthday next Wednesday, and in my mind I had this whole adorable party planned out. I would have a big batch of hot chocolate bubbling on the stove (or two batches, different flavors), a big tray of homemade marshmallows, a few bottles of drink warmers (cough Baileys cough)…
Well it’s probably going to turn into me throwing a cup of hot chocolate into the microwave, throwing on a Kraft Jet Puffed mallow, glugging it full of Baileys and then partying (crying) while he naps. But, I at least I had a plan.
Anyways, this planning is what sparked my hot chocolate guzzling this year. I’ve made SO much of it already and just can’t stop. It’s been my evening beverage bliss. I’m also a self-proclaimed peanut butter cup addict, so you can see where that led…
Peanut Butter Cup Hot Chocolate Was born! And I swear, keeping a giant batch all made up in the fridge to pour and reheat is just the best decision ever. In the morning with a shot of espresso or in the evening with a toasted marshmallow on top, it’s all good.
The peanut butter you choose is really important. You need a silky smooth peanut butter. If you look in your peanut butter jar and it’s slightly grainy, you’ll get a grainy mug of hot chocolate. Bleh. So that’s why I chose Crazy Richards. It only has peanuts listed in the ingredients and it is SO smooth. So find that one or something similar.
And then toasting the mallow. Ah yes, toasty. For me, this means lit on fire and super charred, but you can toast it to your liking. Or not at all. Yes, I used my stove-top for this. No, it’s probably not “safe” but I could care less.
Finally, I put a Justin’s dark chocolate peanut butter cup on the rim…just so you know what’s in there. In case you forgot. And since I used copper mugs, it just melted and slid all the way down, leaving me to lick the cup inside and out. I’m just classy like that.
Hot chocolate will never be just “hot chocolate” ever again once you start making this Peanut Butter Cup Hot Chocolate. Now let’s make and sip a double-batch together!
- 1 ½ cups unsweetened almond milk (up to 2 cups)
- ¼ cup creamy peanut butter (I used Crazy Richards – just peanuts)
- ¼ cup chocolate chips (I used Ghirardelli semisweet)
- 2 Tbs. cocoa powder
- ½ tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 tsp. maple syrup (optional)
- pinch of Kosher salt
- marshmallows to toast and top
- optional: extra peanut butter and a Justin’s dark chocolate pb cup
- In your microwave or on the stovetop, heat the milk, peanut butter and chocolate chips until the milk is steaming and the chocolate is completely melted in. Whisk well. Then, whisk in the cocoa, vanilla, maple and salt. Taste and add more maple syrup if you want a sweeter drink. If you’re using the microwave, I like to just put it all in a large glass Pyrex measuring cup, heat it 1.5 min and whisk then heat more until it’s my desired temperature.
- Pour your drink into mugs (or mug…) and top with toasted marshmallows! I use my gas range and a long fork to toast my mallows but I’m sure that’s not terribly safe…you can use a kitchen torch or just go toast-less. I also like to add a drizzle more of peanut butter and a peanut butter cup because it’s so fun!